Monday, April 7, 2008

You Scream, I Scream



One of my favorite things in the entire world is ice cream! Who can argue that this is one of the most delicious treats bestowed on earth. For years I've wanted to tackle the challenge of making my own ice cream. As a child, I used to beg my parents to make it, but according to my mom, it was "too much work".

Now that I have my own ice cream machine, she must have thought ice cream was churned manually over salt, because I can't imagine many things requireing so little work and time and produce such an amazing result.
Here is my recipe for homemade Chocolate Ice Cream

Ingredients
2 c. whole milk
3 egg yolks
2/3 c. vanilla sugar
pinch of salt
1 16 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. half and half
1 c. heavy whipping cream

In a sauce pan heat milk over medium/low heat. Hot enough to steam, but not boil. Add the sugar and salt. Temper the egg yolks and slowly add to the milk mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips until completely melted.

Remove from heat. Pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl. Add the half and half and cream. Mix to combine. Place bowl in ice bath and cool until at least 60 degrees. Pour mixture into a frozen ice cream machine and churn for 35 minutes.

Equipment
Sauce pan
spoon
bowl (2)
ice cream machine

3 comments:

Larissa said...

Seriously, I come over here and find gnocchi AND ice cream?! Too much yumminess.

Vickie said...

That does it I'm going out to buy a new ice cream maker! Ours broke a couple years ago and it's time to get a new one. All your recipes look so good. :)

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

That photo! It doesn't just look tasty, it looks like real ice cream. I think an ice cream maker might end up on my shopping list too, what with summer right around the corner.