Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Carolina Ribs


Living in St. Louis we have a very distinct rib style, conveniently named St. Louis Style Barbeque. This summer I traveled to Charleston South Carolina and experienced Carolina Style barbeque and fell in love.

Being the huge fan of vinegar that I am, it was an easy transition from the tomato based, sweet and spicy barbeque sauce I'm more familiar with to the tangy mustard, vinegar, and brown sugar sauce.

Last night I decided to venture into the unknown and make Carolina Style Ribs. The plan didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped, but the outcome was delicious!

Carolina Style Barbeque Sauce
1.5 c. apple cidar vinegar
1 c. yellow mustard
1 tsp. tomato paste
3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. smoked papricka
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Place ribs in pan and cover in a high quality apple cidar. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in over and cook for 2 hours. Remove ribs and place on a pan rack above the apple cidar.

Mop ribs with sauce, cover, and place back in oven. Re-apply sauce every 20 minutes 4 times. Total 1hour and 20 minutes in oven.

For the smoky rib flavor light a grill (low heat) and grill ribs for 20-30 minutes.

Cut and serve.

3 comments:

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Well. I scrolled down to comment on the wonderful ribs recipe--the apple cider vinegar gives them a nice tang, doesn't it--but then I got waylayed by the gorgeous photo of the Reuben sandwich. I so have to make a St. Louis run soon.

Vickie said...

Those ribs look awesome and that reuben looks yummy. I know I will have to try out the mini meatball sandwiches.
http://scpepccee.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth said...

Terry: I found a new organic apple cider and it really made a difference! As for the rueben- I'm walking to grocery store in 5 minutes to buy corned beef!

Vickie: Thanks! The ribs were well worth the 3+ hours.