Sunday, March 16, 2008

Slow Sunday: Irish-American Style


Corned beef and cabbage seems to be the first choice for Americans celebrating St. Patrick's day. Two years ago when I was in Ireland I couldn't wait to indulge in two Irish meals: Traditional Irish Breakfast and corned beef and cabbage. While I didn't go one day with out my Irish breakfast of one fried egg, a slice of bacon (think Canadian style with out the smoke), a halved tomato, beans, black pudding, and sausages, I couldn't find corned beef and cabbage anywhere or on any menu!

When I asked locals from Dublin to Galway about where to find this delicious meal, they all gave me a chuckle and said it may be popular in the U.S. but not necessarily in Ireland.

I'll be honest, as excited as I was for an Irish breakfast it was probably the only meal in Ireland I enjoyed, except for the beans, black pudding, and sausages, so really the only thing I ate was the egg, tomato, and bacon.

I'm not sure Corned beef and cabbage is really all that Irish, but is sure is tasty!

I cheated slightly with this recipe. I bought a Boar's Head corned beef brisket which was already been brined in salt, then it came with it's own seasoning package of coriander, bay leaves, all-spice seeds, and some other goodies.

Corned Beef and Cabbage

1 Boar's Head 1st Cut Corned Beef Brisket- approx. 3 lbs. uncooked
12 bite size red potatoes, whole
5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 large peeled onion diced
1 medium cabbage, cut into wedges

Remove corned beef from bag and place in uncovered Dutch oven, with spices up. Cover with 2 inches of cold water. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer slowly for 2 hours. Add vegetables and continue to simmer with lid on for 1 hour, or until meat is fork tender and vegetables are done.

Equipment:
Dutch oven

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I made corned beef and cabbage too!

But I didn't have a dutch oven (my next amazon purchase), so I had to improvise a bit. It turned out pretty well...my husband ate it up, at least!

Elizabeth said...

Larissa: I think husbands are the biggest critics and best supporters. He's the one who is eating your dinner. I'm glad he liked it!