Monday, May 19, 2008

Spicy Strawberry and Walnut Salad



Spring starts for me when the local fruit stand opens its doors for the season. Walking through the market and smelling all the fresh produce is something I look forward to all winter long. A couple weeks ago, while I was taking my usual Saturday stroll through the market I could smell the strawberries from an aisle away. Quickly grabbing my carton of berries I thought, "what would be better right now that an spinach and strawberry salad?" My answer, something sweet and spicy. The surprising taste of Cayenne pepper and brown sugared walnuts rounded off with a strawberry champagne vinaigrette added the zest needed for this sometimes boring salad.

Ingredients
Spicy Strawberry and Walnut Salad
1/2 c. sliced strawberries
1 c. baby spinach
1 tbsp. Spicy candied walnuts
1-2 tbsp. Strawberry champagne vinaigrette

Spicy candied walnuts
2 c. boiled water
1 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. Cayenne pepper

Strawberry Champagne Vinaigrette
1/4 c. Strawberry champagne vinegar
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4. tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Candied walnuts: pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Boil water over high heat. Mix all the dry ingredients into a 1 gallon zip lock bag. Place the walnut into a colander and pour boiling water over the walnuts and immediately transfer the walnuts into the zip lock back and toss to coat all of the nuts. Lay the coated nuts on a cookie sheet and place in oven for 5-6 minutes. Once the sugar mixture has baked, take out of the oven and set aside to cool.

5 comments:

Caz said...

yum! I did this in the winter with pears and pecans. The cayenne adds the much needed kick. I also addid a bit of blue cheese.
Definitely one of my fav. salads!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
This sounds unique and interesting. Good job here :)

Unknown said...

WHOAH! I never would have thought of using strawberries this way! Thanks for the recipe!!

jd said...

This looks really good!

It's funny because I actually just made a strawberry-based salad, too! However, I didn't use cayenne, which sounds delicious.

Mmm - great idea!

Subtle said...

great blog